DRAFT Waste Management Strategy
AlburyCity owns and operates the Albury Waste Management Centre (AWMC), which is the region’s major waste disposal facility servicing Albury, Towong, Greater Hume, Wodonga, Indigo and Federation Councils. The Centre typically receives between 150,000 and 210,000 tonnes of waste each year.
In 2010, the six Councils using the AWMC joined forces to establish the Halve Waste initiative. At the time, the facility was diverting approximately 15% of waste from landfill and had a lifespan of 12 years.
The objective of the initiative was to dramatically reduce the amount of waste going to landfill and extend the facility's lifespan for 30 plus years.
Currently, 53% of all material coming into the AWMC is being diverted from landfill, and recycled or recovered for other purposes - one of the highest diversion rates in NSW.
The facility provides a range of services for resource recovery and waste disposal, including a recycling facility and second-hand goods shop, general waste landfill, disposal and management of construction and demolition waste as well as commercial and industrial waste, disposal of garden organics, and disposal of general putrescible waste.
There are three main waste streams that the AWMC needs to develop processing for:
- Residual Waste - anything that is not organics, recyclable or recoverable, and would ordinarily end up in landfill
- Organics - food and garden organics and biosolids
- Recoverables - materials, other than organics, that can be recovered
To implement processing for these waste streams, new technology and infrastructure will need to be investigated, such as:
- A construction and demolition materials recycling facility, which is currently being built
- An in-vessel composting facility to accept organics, including biosolids and commercial food
- A mechanical biological treatment facility to accept residual and commercial as well as industrial waste
- Mattress and soft furnishing recycling, glass crushing and timber chipping and shredding facilities
You are welcome to share your thoughts on the Draft Waste Management Strategy by 5pm Wednesday, 12 April 2023.